Wednesday, August 6, 2014

#HigherLearningDC





So here's and update with me. I haven't been blogging much because I have literally been SWAMPED with work. But trust me that's a very good thing. I'm back on the airwaves (internet airwaves but thats where I flourish lol)! I'll get into all of those details in my next post.

At the end of this year I will be relocated from Virginia Beach to Southern Maryland (about 30 mins outside of Washington, DC) and because of the fact that i will be so close to a major metropolitan area I have been making trips back and forth to do as much networking as possible before I make the move. Last weekend I attended an event in the SouthWest area of DC called "Higher Learning DC." It was a networking/showcase event that brought out vendors and artist from all over the east cost to get together. What made this event especially unique was the venue. It was held at a church turned art gallery called the "Blind Whino." This place was AMAZING inside and out. Everywhere you looked, there was art. On the walls, no literally, the walls were covered in grafiti and artwork from artist all over. The concept is really dope actually. You can see the building a few blocks down the street the colors are so bold and bright. It kind of changes the whole dynamic of the neighborhood.  I've never really been an art buff but I could really appreciate the work that I saw hanging on the walls in the different rooms throughout the building.

In addition to the art gallery there were two great rooms, one on the first level and one upstairs, also covered in unique graphiti and murals. For this event the lower level great room was used as a place for the vendors to set up. There were photography vendors, clothing lines, an african apparel vendor, and artists selling their artwork as well. The upper level room was probably the most impressive part of the entire venue. It has a stage, a balcony, cathedral ceilings, and amazing stained glass windows. This is where a few indie artists were able to showcase their talent. Young FP and Maryland Lavon were among the performers that night. Overall there was a good turn out and plenty of food, drinks, and conversation to go around.

Major cutos to the good people over at Royal Court, High Society, and Avi8ted Thoughts for putting on a great event. I'm looking forward to attending the next event!


No comments:

Post a Comment