Wednesday, April 23, 2014

#TASTYTUESDAYS 22APR14 (late post)


So as most of my readers and followers on Instagram know, I live in my kitchen. That's one of my happy places. I get asked all the time to do a food page on Instagram but I just don't think I can keep up with it as much as I would like to so every Tuesday I'll show you some of my techniques and maybe even inspire you to get creative in your own kitchens. 
This week I have been participating in Deelishis' (reality star from VH1's Flavor of Love) 7 day challenge. It's been a hit on Instagram so last week I decided to give it a try and lost 4 pounds in a week. The first week was tough but I figured I'd try it again this week. The toughest part of the challenge is the no bread (which means no bread white rice pastries and also fried food), so I've been trying to switch my meals up so that I don't get bored. 
So this Tuesday I decided to make turkey wings. I was originally going to make them on Easter but I fell asleep lol. 
Here's what I used to season them with: 
*note: the McCormick brand seasonings are awesome but tend to be pretty pricey, your local store brands are more than sufficient*

Onion powder, sea salt, black pepper, parsley, seasoning salt (have a light hand with this), garlic, half an onion, and half a green bell pepper chopped in big pieces.
This seasoning blend is actually one of my recent favs, because it has paprika in it it will help give your food the great color you would have gotten if you were heavy with the seasoning salt. I've learned to explore different seasoning blends to compensate for the flavor so that a whole lot of salt isn't needed. 
Alright now that we are all seasoned and ready to go, my wings go in my crockpot on low...
And 5 hours later... 
Falling off of the bone!!! 
I also made some home made gravy with the broth the wings made. Gravy is easy to make but can be ruined easily. My technique is simple. I put 2 tbsp of flower in a cup and slowly add water while stirring at the same time so it doesn't get lumpy (you want about a cup of the water/ flour mixture per cup of broth). Once you've made your mixture pour it into your broth over medium heat and continue stirring. Add a pinch of sea salt, a little more onion and garlic and continue stirring then you're done! 
*note: for thicker gravy add more flour than water to your mix before combining it with the broth*
Plate and enjoy!

If you have any special request on what I should cook next Tuesday send your suggestions to INTHEMIXXER@CRCDJS.COM




No comments:

Post a Comment